The role of the Client Accountant at Marsh & Parsons is to ensure that all financial transactions within our portfolio of let and managed properties are handled effectively at every point of the tenancy life cycle. This means that all Landlords are paid accurately and within the time limits of their contractual terms, and that all deposits or overpayment refunds are issued quickly. The Client Accountant will provide support and administration to our internal office network and provide informed advice to clients regarding all financial queries.
Direct responsibility for:
- Process financial transactions between tenant and landlord for the entire tenancy life cycle, to ensure that we remain compliant with each individual tenancy agreement.
- This includes accurately setting up new tenancies on internal software system, accurately raising fees based on tenancy start date, tenancy length, break clause and rent agreed.
- Where a tenancy is renewed past the original fixed-term, amend the tenancy end date and recalculate any re-negotiated rent and additional fees.
- Terminating the tenancy, calculate the tenant rent or fee liabilities at the end of the tenancy depending on the original terms of the agreement and ensure commission is not overpaid to the relevant office.
- In the event that commission is overpaid to the relevant negotiator, accurately calculate and process refunds to communicate to team Manager (under £500) or finance (in excess of £500).
- Manage the daily payment run by removing all unnecessary payments (such as those that are not due yet), to ensure that no funds are transferred to Landlords ahead of the tenancy start date unless agreed otherwise by Tenant and Landlord. Import the batch payment file from the internal software system onto online banking, ready to submit.
- In the event the beneficiary is overseas or has multiple UK bank accounts, input payments manually onto online banking system.
- Compile all Marsh & Parsons agency fee charges paid by clients and pay the funds from the client account to the Marsh & Parsons account.
- Releasing and repaying tenant deposits upon instruction from property and tenancy management departments, ideally on the same day.
- Basic administration of the non-resident Landlord scheme. Explain the NRL scheme to any Landlord who is overseas for more than 6 months that their rent will be taxed at 20%, unless in receipt of approval from HMRC not to charge. File and store the NRL approval documentation.
- Process any repayment of overpaid tax to the landlord where it should not be paid over to HMRC.
- Ensure all statements produced by the Client Accounts department are prepared accurately and within the agreed deadlines:
- Prepare and manage the daily statements run (by email or post as requested) and ensure completion by 6pm.
- Ensure supplier remittance advices have been sent by email or post every Friday.
- Prepare income and expenditure reports for landlords on request.
- Responding to internal and external accounting queries, including statement or fee queries from landlords and occasionally tenants. This will also include providing informed advice to front office colleagues to encourage swift resolution of client queries.
- Maintain accurate records and be vigilant that data-integrity is not compromised on the internal software system.
Knowledge and skill requirement:
- Knowledge of the Lettings and Property Management industry
- Familiar with client accounting software
- Strong customer-service skills
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- High level of numerical accuracy and attention to detail
- Intermediate Excel skills
Competencies personality requirements:
- Professional approach
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Reliable and resilient
- Results oriented
- Client focused
- Commercially aware
Location: London, United Kingdom
Finance, Accounting/Auditing, Customer Service
To apply for any of our roles, please email your CV and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Required field